Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving in the woods in my RV, Peaceful, Serene.........And then I tried to get internet access!

Usually I use jaunts to the Beach or out to the woods in our family RV as a way to unwind, and relax and just hangout by a campfire, read ghost stories to the kids and go on hikes, bike rides etc.

So with that in mind on Wednesday night we headed out for a few days of RVing over thanksgiving weekend!

We are currently testing the beta site and getting ready for the upcoming launch of http://www.Rummagemonkey.com So along came the laptop with my Cingular aircard attached, Normally this thing chugs along great and has allowed me to check email , surf a web page or two at a relative decent speed.

Anyway we get to our site, and my first mission is to get satellite reception through the trees so we can watch Thanksgiving day Football the Macy's parade etc. It had been a few months since we had used the receiver in the RV so after the dish on the roof verified a lock on the satellites, and I still had no reception I knew I had to call DIshnetwork and have them reset the box!

Call one on the cell phone....Welcome to click..........Dropped call

Call two........Got to a live person who could not hear me

Call Three...Get to Cust. Service menu Dropped call

Call Four.....Get a rep on phone and he says I can't make out enough words I'm gonna hang up now...Click Your gonna do what???$%^&* AAAAAAAGGGGH!

So I set off on a series of attempts trying to get through to the powers that be at Dishnetwork, After about 50 attempts, posing in various positions in order to try to get one more bar out Cingular, With Visions of their commercials promising more coverage than any other network, I give up.........Good god roughing it is brutal!

finally I walk outside down to a campsite of people we know and the bars appear! I call Dishnetwork they beam down on my box and when I check it again later, I have all my channels!

(And for those of you thinking this doesn't sound like roughing it, At home we watch TV on either 105 inch screen or a 42 so to have to tough it out on a pair of 21 inchers is brutal...LOL)

So now I get down to the serious task of relaxing, We have a fire sit around with the kids, The site had a great rope swing that we watched our girls have a great time using all weekend!, everyone eventually goes to bed....I think Good time to fire up the laptop, and check in on what's going on with the site! I hook up my super duper booster antennae to my Aircard and fireup, first go is pretty good, then a drop, I move the antennae to try and get another bar, I lose a bar........aaaaaaaggggghhh anyway this goes on and on and on, Finally on Saturday I surrender the weekend is one day from being over and I give up.

In hind sight the family was saying what a great weekend we had, We went down to a horse stable to check out a bunch of horses, they had some lasso ropes for the kids to play with, so we had my two Daughters and two of our Friends Daughters Run between me and our other friend while we practiced our roping skills! The first Horse caught was my 5 year old I lassoed her right around the waist and dragged her in! After the crying ceased we continued, Our Friends two Daughters were next to be roped, Then my 8 year old, the lasso flew beautifully through the air settling on her neck, ker plunk game over! We walked back to Camp laughing! Not bad for a City Boy!

Good Food, Great times with Friends and Family.....Not that I'll ever stop messing around with Technology but sometimes 4 days can put it all in perspective!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!